No, you’re not going insane…that device was just added without consent
When the network you are responsible for is constantly changing, it’s logical to implement change management processes. But enforcing them is a whole other ballgame – as you can never be sure that people are following the procedures.
Regardless of the constraints imposed by your change management software, it’s always possible that someone will place a new device, configure it any way they want and ultimately plug it in your network. As usual, no one will be aware of the new device, its importance, or operational role within your network and organization.
The only way out of this situation is to have sanity checks in place. These checks regularly scan your network for newly added and removed devices, reconcile discovered data in resource inventory, and automatically provision the new devices for monitoring.
Feel confident with scheduled discovery and reconciliation
Scheduled network scanning and reconciliation of network devices and topologies with automated provisioning to fault and performance management is crucial for assuring the whole network is monitored.
The UMBOSS Automatic Discovery Management (ADM) Module provides the capability to automatically discover network devices and topologies, and reconcile the discovered data with both resource inventory and fault and performance management.
Key features of UMBOSS ADM from a monitoring perspective
- Scanning and discovery of the whole network detects new and disconnected devices
- Job scheduler for discovery ensures regular sanity checks
- Granular discovery operations allow some scans to be performed more frequently than others
- Reconciliation policies for automatic execution saves time for manual reconciliation approvals
No more head-scratching with these benefits
- No device left without monitoring
- Monitoring starts immediately upon discovery
- High-fidelity of network and service assurance processes